Why I like this recipe? This recipes uses nutritional yeast – a nutritious way to a savory flavor to a dish. Similar to taste as MSG but without the glutamate makes this a safe dish for people with allergies to MSG. Or, for those of us who are avoiding MSG. Nutritional yeast not only provides a savory flavor, it is packed full of B vitamins!I really like this Nutritional Yeast Product by NOW Foods:
Enjoy this dish as a side dish with your meal or enjoy this a Huevos Rancheros – typically served with 2 poached eggs.
If you like Mexican flavors this dish truly hits the spot!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil Other other healthy oil for sauteing.
- 1 Small Onion diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin & Ground Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric Smoked Paprika
- 1-2 Teaspoons Penzeys SouthWest Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne optional
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock & Vegetable Stock Use your own homemade or Organic broth of your choosing.
- 1.5 Cups Quinoa Rinsed
- 2 15 oz Black Beans Canned, Drained & Rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Each Lime Zested & Juiced
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1⁄2 Bunch Cilantro – chopped Optional
1. In a large pot on medium, heat oil, Add onion and saute until soft, about 3 minutes.
2. Add bell pepper, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, SouthWest Seasoning and cayenne (if using) and saute until the garlic and spices are fragrant, about 3 minutes.
3. Stir in 3 cups of stock (chicken or vegetable), Nutritional Yeast, beans and then add in the quinoa and bring to a simmer. Cover and allow quinoa to cook, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
4 Stir in lime zest, juice and salt to taste. Heat through, about 2 minutes. Top with cilantro and hot sauce (if using).
Serve as a tasty side dish and makes a nice breakfast dish especially with 2 poached eggs. Make on a Sunday and it is good through Thursday! Enjoy!
Adapted from Clean Eating, September, 2016