A colorful soupy stew – spinach green and carrot orange – that reverberates with the tastes of far away places. Serve over couscous or brown rice. This recipe is designed to use with a pressure cooker, which will get your meal on the table in a fraction of the stovetop time.
Course: Main Course
Main Ingredient: Chicken
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr
- 2-2 1⁄2 pounds chicken parts (dark meat remains moister) skinned
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils picked over and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 large carrots peeled (leave whole)
- 2 tablespoons ginger minced
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 16 -ounce package fresh leaf spinach
- Heat the oil in a 6-quart or larger cooked. Saute the onion until lightly browned, stirring frequently, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the cumin seeds and saute an additional 10 seconds.
- Add the water. Stir to scrape up any brown bits sticking to the bottom of the cooker. Add the lentils, chicken, carrots, water, cinnamon, allspice, and raisins. Set the carrots on top.
- Lock the lid in place and over high heat bring to high pressure. Adjust the heat to maintain high pressure and cook for 11 minutes. Reduce pressure with a quick-release method. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow any excess steam to escape.
- Slash the carrots with a knife. Stir in the spinach and ginger. Add salt to taste. Simmer until the spinach is cooked, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving (1)
- Calories: 579
- Protein: 59.4
- Sugar: 11
- Carbohydrate: 47.7
- Fat: 16.9
- Cholesterol: 135
- Sodium: 613
- Fiber: 18.4