This risotto can be served as a main dish for vegetarians or as a side dish. This pairs well with salad of spring greens and light vinaigrette. This serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as main dish. What do I like about this dish – it is surprisingly high in protein and mushrooms provide good food for the microbiome. A great dish for healing the gut! I did use an organic low sodium vegetable broth for the broth which along with broth made by re-hydrating the porcini mushrooms – added plenty of flavor. Because this dish is so flavorful, little salt is needed. Add thyme to your liking.
Course: Side Dishes
Main Ingredient: Rice & Grains
- 3 cups Low-Sodium Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1⁄2 oz. Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 cup Minced Onions
- 8 oz. Assorted Mushrooms, cremini, button, oyster, shiitake. stemmed and sliced For a more protein use oyster and shiitake
- 1 Tbsp. Minced Fresh Garlic
- 3⁄4 cup Arboiro or Carnaroli Rice Or, Known as Risotto Rice
- 1⁄2 cup Dry White Wine
- 1⁄2 cup Frozen Peas – Thawed (optional) Fresh Peas if you have them.
- 1⁄4 cup Shredded Parmesan Optional
- 2 tsp. Minced Fresh Thyme Or, Dried 1 – tsp. or to taste
- 1⁄2 tsp. Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. Black Pepper
- Combine broth and porcini in a saucepan; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer porcini, covered, 10 minutes. Transfer porcini, using a slotted spoon, to a cutting board and chop. Keep broth warm.
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium. Add onion and cook until softened about 5 minutes.
- Stir in porcini, fresh mushrooms, and garlic, cook until liquid nearly evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, stirring to coat. Deglaze the pan with wine; cook, stirring constantly, until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in 1 cups warm broth, simmer rice, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed, 3-4 min. Continue adding broth in 1 cup increments, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed, and rice is creamy, about 20 min. total.
- Stir in peas, 1/4 cup Parmesan, minced thyme, salt, and pepper. Garnish servings with Parmesan and thyme springs, serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving (4)
- Calories: 300
- Protein: 20 grams
- Carbohydrate: 81 grams
- Fat: 18 grams
- Cholesterol: 30 mg
- Sodium: 868 mg
- Fiber: 9 grams
Adpated from Vegetarian today, April 2017