Your gut is ground zero when it comes to your health. It is where you digest your food to provide nutrients, it is your number one immune defense and plays a major role in maintaining healthy mental health. Over the years our poor diet, environmental toxins, and medications can take a toll on our digestion health leading not just poor digestion but auto-immune conditions like Hashimoto’s, Colitis and Crohn’s.
Warning Signs of Poor Gut Health
- IBS – Diarrhea, Constipation or Both
- Bloating, Gas, Poor Digestion
- Joint Pain, Muscle Pain
- Headaches, Migraines
- Skin Conditions – Acne, Psoriasis, Eczema, Dermatitis Herpetiformis
- Auto-Immune Conditions
- Depression, Fatigue & Anxiety
Many times we don’t realize that our health conditions or our inability to reach our health goals whether that is losing weight or just want to have more energy, is rooted in our gut. It is not uncommon for some of us to get use to being constipated or having frequent diarrhea. After all, there are many over the counter medications that help us resolve these symptoms like Miralax, one of the most common remedies for constipation. Yet, we are ignoring our bodies signals that something a miss in our digestion which can compromise our health.
Developing sensitivity to foods is perhaps the number cause of the developing of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) leading to chronic constipation, chronic diarrhea or for some going from one back to other. This leads to malabsorption of nutrients and reduced detoxification. Overtime this leads other conditions including skin conditions, fatigue, hormonal balances and for some migraines and headaches. What is a food sensitivities? Food sensitivity are different than food allergies as well as food intolerance. They also much tougher to test for however, the LEAP MRT is the number one more accurate testing for food sensitivities.
- Food Allergies – This is a immune response involving IgE and histamine resulting in sneezing, stuffy nose, swelling of the lips and other symptoms including anaphylactic shock. These response can be controlled with anti-histamines and can be tested for with an allergist however most traditional testing for food allergies is highly inaccurate.
- Food Intolerance- We have all heard about lactose intolerance leading to an intolerance for diary products. This is because a person lacks the enzyme (lactase) to breakdown the sugar (lactose) in diary product leading to gas, bloat and for some diarrhea. Histamine intolerance is also a good example of a food intolerance where some lacks the ability to properly breakdown histamine.
- Food Sensitivity – This is an immune response to certain compounds in foods mostly involving the sugars in foods. In most cases, these sensitivities are a result of poor gut health including SIBO and Leaky Gut. These sensitivities can be overcome in most cases using a program like LEAP which I now certified in. This comprehensive program identifies your food sensitivity as well chemical sensitivities